Archive for June, 2013
The stash-down quest continues and the numbers are overall on track. If you missed the first post in this quest series, you can read about how it all started in the January post.
My current rules and goals are:
- Knit up as much as possible from Deep Stash (2010 or earlier)
- Knit up the 3 sweaters worth of yarn bought in the fall, 2012 (2 of 3 finished)
- Buy no wool yarn from Sandnes Garn or Per Tyrving (I hate working with it!)
- 1:1 ratio for fingering sock yarn – Knit one pair of adult socks or a shawl, may buy 100g of new sock yarn
- 1:5 ratio for all other yarns, based on yardage
- It is OK to buy yarn for specific projects for the kids, especially daycare sweaters, but the project must be started within 2 months of purchase
- Yardage from my pre-2012 sweater UFOs do not count (mostly knit, need finishing), but the two scarves do count
- Vacation yarns do not count (but may only buy yarns not available at local-to-me yarn stores (LYSes))
- Gifts and prizes do not count
So, how did I do for May?
- I knit a garter toddler cardigan using 890 yards of the blue/purple Opal sock yarn acquired last month.
- I made three pairs of adult socks out of 1183 yards of fingering yarn (of which one was deep stash).
- I knit three pairs of newborn socks out of 107 yards of sport weight left-overs.
- I knit a pair of toddler socks out of 140 yards of fingering weight left-overs (deep stash).
- I knit 5 preemie hats and crocheted a flower out of 224 yards of light fingering (deep stash).
- I knit a blanket square out of 22 yards of left-over baby wool from March mittens.
- I bought 2 100g skeins of Garnstudio DROPS Lace for a specific project and immediately cast on. This will set me back 1750 yards on the generic allowence.
- I bought a pile of sock yarn on our vacation to Hamburg, Germany. Remember, vacation yarns do not count 🙂 And I have already knit an adult pair of socks from the pile.
At the beginning of the month, my unspent allowance was 8.5 balls of sock yarn and roughly 1450 yards of any yarn. The only yarn in was the lace and vacation yarn.
I used three balls of fingering sock yarn for socks and 1383 yards of yarn for other projects. Seven of the 14 finished objects were knit out of deep stash yarns, and the rest were knit out of yarn that had been 6 months or less in the stash! This brings my May numbers up to 3 balls of sock yarn and 277 yards of any yarn.
My accumulated unspent allowance is now up to 11.5 balls of sock yarn and -23 yards of any yarn.