The stash-down quest continues – I am back at work and it is fall! If you missed the first post in this quest series, you can read about how it all started in the January post.
My current rules and goals are:
- Knit up as much as possible from Deep Stash (2010 or earlier)
- Knit up the 3 sweaters worth of yarn bought in the fall, 2012 (2 of 3 finished, last one on the needles)
- Buy no wool yarn from Sandnes Garn or Per Tyrving (I hate working with it!)
- 1:1 ratio for fingering sock yarn – Knit one pair of adult socks or a shawl, may buy 100g of new sock yarn
- 1:5 ratio for all other yarns, based on yardage
- It is OK to buy yarn for specific projects for the kids, especially daycare sweaters, but the project must be started within 2 months of purchase
- Yardage from my pre-2012 sweater UFOs do not count (mostly knit, need finishing), but the two scarves do count
- Vacation yarns do not count (but may only buy yarns not available at local-to-me yarn stores (LYSes))
- Gifts and prizes do not count
So, how did I do for September?
- I knit a colorwork cardigan out of 482 yards of sport weight alpaca left-overs
- A knit a cowl out of 175 yards of a bulky full skein for SingleSkeinSeptember (deep stash)
- I knit a dishcloth out of 63 yards of worsted cotton left-overs
- I knit 3 preemie hats out of 110 yards of fingering weight left-overs (deep stash)
- 6 50g / 116y ball of Dale of Norway/Dalegarn Falk to knit a mini mitten advent calendar. Project is cast on!
- One skein of self-striping sock yarn (3-month pre-paid international yarn club)
At the beginning of the month, my unspent allowance was 13.5 balls of sock yarn and 882 yards of any yarn. 696 yards + 1 sock yarn in.
I used 830 yards of yarn for projects. 4/6 projects were made out of deep stash yarns. This brings my September numbers up to 166 yards of any yarn.
My accumulated unspent allowance is now down to 12.5 balls of sock yarn and 352 yards of any yarn.