Archive for July, 2013
The stash-down quest continues and the numbers are back in black. If you missed the first post in this quest series, you can read about how it all started in the January post.
My current rules and goals are:
- Knit up as much as possible from Deep Stash (2010 or earlier)
- Knit up the 3 sweaters worth of yarn bought in the fall, 2012 (2 of 3 finished)
- Buy no wool yarn from Sandnes Garn or Per Tyrving (I hate working with it!)
- 1:1 ratio for fingering sock yarn – Knit one pair of adult socks or a shawl, may buy 100g of new sock yarn
- 1:5 ratio for all other yarns, based on yardage
- It is OK to buy yarn for specific projects for the kids, especially daycare sweaters, but the project must be started within 2 months of purchase
- Yardage from my pre-2012 sweater UFOs do not count (mostly knit, need finishing), but the two scarves do count
- Vacation yarns do not count (but may only buy yarns not available at local-to-me yarn stores (LYSes))
- Gifts and prizes do not count
So, how did I do for June?
- I made one pair of adult socks out of 344 yards of fingering yarn (deep stash).
- I knit three pairs of toddler socks out of 334 yards of fingering weight left-overs.
- I knit 15 pairs of baby socks out of 886 yards of light fingering (10/15 out of deep stash).
- I bought one 100g skein of sock yarn from GnomeAcres.
- I received one 100g skein of Socks that Rock fingering weight yarn as a prize in Sock Madness 7. Remember, prize yarns do not count 🙂
At the beginning of the month, my unspent allowance was 11.5 balls of sock yarn and -23 yards of any yarn. The only yarn in was the single skein of sock yarn plus the prize.
I used one ball of fingering yarn for adult socks and 1220 yards of yarn for other projects. 11 of the 19 finished objects were knit out of deep stash yarns, and the rest were knit out of yarn that had been 6 months or less in the stash! This brings my May numbers up to 0 balls of sock yarn and 244 yards of any yarn.
My accumulated unspent allowance is now up to 11.5 balls of sock yarn and 221 yards of any yarn.